Wednesday, December 24, 2008

What would you do if you had no fear?

Inadequacy.  The fear that I am not good enough keeps me from doing many things.  It keeps me from living life.  

I think these are good reasons to do something:
  • one wants to do them
  • they are the right thing to do
  • the result will be worth the effort

I quickly convince myself that I don't want to do something I don't think I can master.  I need to begin making efforts, at least giving a new thing a shot.  The hard part will be doing this without thinking disparaging thoughts about myself the whole way.

Yesterday, it was something small.  I've never attempted to use chopsticks when eating Chinese food simply because I didn't think I could do it(perfectly).  I'd make a mess, not actually eat any food, and I can use a fork anyway.  I decided to go ahead and try.  At worst, I return to The Fork.  With some tips from B and trying again and again, I finally finished my entire plate of honey-crusted shrimp and rice with chopsticks only.  

I didn't use the chopsticks perfectly.  More importantly, if I had put the chopsticks down and decided I preferred a fork, it would have been okay.  It's all about the effort, the attempt, the courage and humility to try.  This is what I'm practicing.  It is time to stop fearing chopsticks, among other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment